Thursday, April 01, 2021

GUTWRENCHED 2

Holy Moly! Almost two years since my last blog post!?!? No big surprise there! Seems like the BM way! It's amazing I've made it this far in life. Anyhoo.

It's been a rough few years. Getting divorced stinks. Mine wasn't so bad but the emotional trauma of severing such a long and entwined relationship is a most painful thing. It also makes all the regular ins and outs of life way more complicated and difficult, especially with children.

I've been struggling to keep the art alive but it's been hard. Feels like I've been stabbing in the dark without a clear focus, but I feel I've made some interesting little things during this difficult time. I started a TikTok but I mainly think the platform is total garbage.

I grow wary of the constant technical issues that come with editing digitally on a laptop and often long for the days of two VHS tapedecks hooked together, hitting play on one and pause/record on the other for the edits. It was a simpler time.

The other day I was messing around on my phone on iMovie with some footage I'd shot and some things started coming together rather magically. It felt fun again. Simple. For a while I didn't even know if I wanted to keep making movies. Then I felt the spark hit me again.

I had shot some dumb footage of me wearing a hockey mask for my TikTok and I started cutting those shots into the thing I was making. It was 2021. I made my first feature in 1991. On two tapedecks. 30 years ago.

The it hit me. I'm makng GUTWRENCHED 2. I didn't even know it!

I'm shooting and editing it all on my phone. I'm inviting all the actors back. I will premiere it in one minute segments on TikTok when it's done. A bunch of deranged haikus cobbled together as a love letter to my handful of fans and friends, as well as my beloved Slasher film genre.

No comments: