So almost done with PRESIDENT MONSTERFACE. For some damn reason in the past I always sort of frowned upon short shorts. Like shorts up to 5 minutes long. I like feeling a sense of adventure and scope going into a project. I feel ambitions outweigh my abilities. I want each movie to be an 8 hour epic like Berlin Alexanderplatz or something. But MONSTERFACE is tight, fast, and crazy. A MAJOR improvement over it's previous iteration as MOMMY WANTED THE MONSTER. I gotta do this more often. I can shoot a quick and crazy thing in one day and have something wild and seething with juices by the next weekend. I may have to embark on some new experimental cinematic adventures.
So once I'm done with this, I will finish episode 2 of NIGHTFRIGHTS, the Bombo the Clown Bomber episode, which I am pretty excited about. Looking at my editing I have truly internalized the Orson Welles/Russ Meyer rhythmic in the moment ordered chaos method of editing where everything beats like a human heart. Once I'm done with that, I am tackling BAM! BLAM! YOUR FACE!
On a sidenote, been reading Frazer's Golden Bough. The research that fella put together is insanely comprehensive and thorough and his logic is sound. But his condescension toward the magical belief systems of tribal people from all over the world is astounding. Which is crazy to me. Obviously the guy spent a lot of time researching, collecting his data, and building an argument, but the disdain drips from his quill regarding a subject he seems very interested in. It's like he's saying, "Let me show you how strange and deluded these savages are... unlike us... the CIVILIZED." It's like a validation for colonial plunderings. Those crowned heads are the true savages.
No comments:
Post a Comment