Here we go! I started bloggering again to help me get my muscles flexing again creatively because I have been having some problems in that department recently. And it's really helped! I'm back in the swing of things. Recently I showed one of my shorts, MOMMY WANTED THE MONSTER, to a special somebody and I just didn't like it. The damn thing just didn't work for me at all. I was losing my edge.
I saw where I was going. I've been drifting toward a more formal and organized approach, a bit removed from the full frontal editing assault I usually go for, kinda like an Orson Welles on cough medicine. But I was going for the wrong thing. I don't really know what I was thinking. I wasn't being true to the material I was shooting. The form I was giving to my format was totally wrong.
While working on this new dumb cop picture, I've been flooded with all sorts of ideas for editing, way more in line with the way I used to do things, which is following an inner logic that talks to me much like my mind talks to me while I am dreaming. Because I am such an autodidactic wild card, I have been reading up a lot on formal filmmaking. In MOMMY I tried to apply that stuff to something that is just a wild gonzo mess and it didn't work.
So now I am testing out some of my new editing ideas on MOMMY, gutting the damn thing and re-editing it. Lots of changes, including the title which is now PRESIDENT MONSTERFACE, the working title of the short. I think it's a great improvement.
No comments:
Post a Comment