Doing the best to keep the parable of the tortoise and the hare in front of me. I tend to be rabbit like in my sleep and work habits. I should adopt more of the shelled friend's steady resolve.
In October I have so far seen:
FLESH FEAST
Veronica Lake's last movie is no swan song. Entertainingly ridiculous, it really picks up at the end when Adolph Hitler shows up. The last five minutes make the whole movie.
MOTEL HELL
When I was a kid this was in constant rotation on HBO. We had Showtime. Which bummed me because any sort of cannibalistic tale thrilled me on a mythological and socio-political level. Amazing what passed for PG in 1980. There were bare breasts, gory kills, a genuinely disturbing secret garden, even a flash of penis. The tone is pretty jokey and tame. I'm guessing this may have swayed the ratings board.
THE GREEN INFERNO
Was excited to see what a revival of the cannibal exploitation film would look like. Not too different than the original. Didn't make too grand of a statement about anything when it could have done so in an interesting way. The fat black fellow was a fairly pathetic character and that was not cool. Some good shocks though and pretty faithful to the originals, which makes me think, why revive the genre in the first place?
(SPOILER ALERT) The ridiculous last seven minutes of Flesh Feast
No comments:
Post a Comment