Friday, January 02, 2015

Cannibal Culture

Naiveté is a character trait which I possess. It used to get me in trouble, but as many of my contemporaries get old and jaded, I remain rather fresh faced and open to the possibilities of the universe. I can now say I am proud to be naive. I used to do anything I could to show I did not possess such a quality.

In my naivety, I thought if the public had direct access to inexpensive cameras, audio, and editing equipment capable of capturing images at a very high quality, then people, left to their churning creative devices, would be popping out no-fi masterpieces left and right. Boy was I wrong. Even the no-fi want their "product" to look "professional" -  just like Hollywood. Not only in visual terms, but in form, structure, too, along with an overbearing reluctance to try anything new. It's a regurgitation of a regurgitation of a regurgitation. Instead of breaking new ground, many of those using new technology for creative ends are cannibalizing old stuff which has come before. This is a mighty mighty sign of a culture in decline.

But there are rewards for you if you embrace the status quo. You get a whole lot of nothing at best when you challenge the powers - their attitudes, what they hold sacred, and tastes. I'd rather feast on something nutritious and bold and then regurgitate a new form then lick dead things.

No comments: