I never wanted filmmaking to be my job. If filmmaking were my job then I would have to make movies that paid the bills, not the movies that get me excited. As a filmmaker and true believer in the magical effects of cinema upon the human consciousness, the only correct thing for me to do is to make the movies which, deemed by me, need to exist in the universe.
There need to be films to counterbalance the mores and values of mainstream cinema including myopic standards of beauty, ignorant attitudes toward race, sex, and gender politics, and the deep seated heated embrace of the status quo. The filmmakers with the greenback backing uphold the aforementioned traditions. They do not challenge them. Why would I make movies if I wasn't challenging these notions? That is what is necessary and vital, not regurgitating and then again eating up the same old same old thing.
So I have a job and I'm keeping it. I am a special ed teacher and I love it. My job gives me a sense of purpose and gives me almost enough money to cover the basic life things. These days movies don't have to cost anything to make. So that's how I make them.
I am free to make my movies exactly the way I want them to be. I am not beholden to any one else's ideas or visions. I am free to break new ground, fail miserably, and much much more. I have the freedom to do what I want. To me this is important because most often in my movies I am working out or exposing some sort of sinister twister inner working of human covered up consciousness. Not everyone is going to take that kind of thing the same way. There is much room for subjective interpretation. I don't really care how it is taken as long as I can do my thing the way I want to do it.

No comments:
Post a Comment