ON THE ROAD TO APOTHEOSIS? PERHAPS? I dunno. Hahahahahaha!
Anyhow. Finding my way out there in the cold dark world. Been finding solace in easing back slowly. Got my darn phone with me all the time so I thought to start putting it to some good use WRITING LYRICS AGAIN.
Making plays, books, movies, art, costumes, masks, comics, zines, music, blablablabla, has always been a thing I'd done, I guess starting from being an only child finding ways to keep myself entertained while my mom cleaned the house.
In my young adult life I met some great people with whom I could collaborate and I had a creative explosion. I was studying English Lit at San Francisco State and falling in love with Nabokov. The songs poured forth from me, exposed to the imaginative freedom of this wild, wizardly trilingual.
Over the weekend on my way to my girl's house I stopped in at a thrift store after dropping off the kids at my ex's with the intention to get my girl some trinket of some sort. I stumbled on THE ORIGINAL OF LAURA: DYING IS FUN which Nabokov raced to finish while dying in the hospital. This thing is beautiful. He never finished it and he wrote everything in hand on index cards.
The book reproduces the cards, front and back, and the reader gets to see how Nabokov worked his magic, cast his spells through text. Although it is a dreamlike mishmash of vignettes and fragments, the book is a full on NEUTRON STAR. The heaviest stuff known in the universe. The damn thing shot a spark through me.
Was reading the heck out of this master Vladimir N. back at SF State while jamming and playing with Jamie in Bob Barango and the Bad Lady and strangely, while reading DYING IS FUN, all the anagrams and word play and codes and wild language playing funnery hit me hard and I was writing up some crazy lyrics on my phone. Made me feel good. Connecting with the muses again. Slowly but surely. Baby steps, baby! Every day another tiptoe forward.
No comments:
Post a Comment