Thursday, February 19, 2015
Shopping Bag Manifesto 2015
I will never arrive at a movie shoot with more items than I may carry in a paper shopping bag. The art of film is direct and true. Let us take advantage of today's technical advancements and do away with the smoke and mirrors of yesteryear. by embracing the small and the sensitive. Phony explosions are tiresome cliches. Magic is illusive illumination, not distraction.
I will TELL A STORY in a clear and succinct fashion. I have made works concerned with relating dissociative, dissonant emotions through a new language of cinema. They were cries for help from the cavernous catacombs of my psyche and they saved me and I will forever be grateful to them and grateful to myself for making them and grateful to my subconscious for relaying some important memos to me.
I will abstain from the distractors and art obfuscators like media hyperbole hype sandwiches and digital probings of algorithmic assassinations of the true shot from the gut experimentalism of risk taking art making.
I will use accessible human tools to make my art from the consumer segment of salespersonship, i.e., iMovie and camcorders. I bathe my luscious nude in the waters of amateurism - the greatest one word complement a great film can receive. Power to the people. A $50K camera takes a powerful bank account to purchase. Let us not waste time in acquiring wealth. Let us get straight to making great new movies by any means necessary. Toy cameras. Small gauge film. Phones,
I will eschew any act of crime or violence upon the sacred and mystical magic of cinema. It is a violent crime to keep making the same thing again and again. It is a violent crime to draw from the single solitary blueprint created by Hollywood. I live in Sacramento. I make Sacramento movies. When I lived in Portland I made Portland movies. If you live in Boston, make Boston movies. Helena. Whitefish. Spokane.
I will accept the derisive misunderstanding which often comes with a new expression. The stirring belches of the times can fail to digest these due to physical malnourishment and psychic disease. The things I make are the things I want to make. They are things which need to exist counterbalancing the varnishing lies and flaky chrome of sensation enticements masquerading as lofty messages. When you eat tripe there are pieces of stomach in your stomach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment